Monday 18 November 2013

33 Day Challenge day 25 - new technique!

Hi loves!

I had an utter brain block when it came to this challenge. I've been blogging and doing nails for a few years now, and I could not think of a technique that was new! I've tried drag marbles, splatters, spun sugar, tape, cling film, watercolour, one stroke, plaid, water spotted, stamper decals, fan brush... Stumped. In the end I went with something that I have played with before, but not posted on the blog, and added a new element too! My lovely friend Tracy sent me some foils to try a while ago, and they are a lot of fun! I've not perfected it quite yet, but with the foil I chose today it didn't matter too much. And then I stamped on top of them too, which I'd never done before. I loved the result!

I started with a base of China Glaze Aquadelic, which was the closest colour I had to the base colour of the foils. That way, if there are any gaps once you've transfered your pattern, it's not so noticeable. Once that was dry I added a layer of foil adhesive and let it go tacky - about 10 mminutes. Then it's simply a case of applying the foil, rubbing it over with a cotton bud and hey presto, the image transfered! I did miss a couple of patches, but as you can see it wasn't too noticeable, and as this wasn't a repeating pattern I put on a bit more glue and went over it again.



I then topcoated - and this is where it could have gone horribly wrong! See, metallic foils don't tend to like topcoat, especially fast drying ones like my favourite Poshe. The topcoat wrinkled the foil a little bit, but actually it didn't matter because of the pattern again. But a top tip I learned in hindsight is to apply a layer of PVA glue (like the glitter peel off method) and let that dry before topcoating. It just adds a layer of protection between the foil and the chemicals in the topcoat. Anyway, once that was dry I stamped over with an image from Bundle Monster 406 and Konad Black Pearl.





You could get the same effect using the cling film/saran/plastic wrap method, but I think the gold is bolder using this foil and I loved it! I really must play more often :) That's if I ever manage to stop browsing websites looking for more...

Hx


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. This is phenomenal! I love the stamp you chose to go with it, it looks ridiculously cool! And I can't get over how great your nails look! I wish Duri worked that well on me. But it doesn't, in fact it's made my nails worse. I think once someone finds a base coat that works well for them, it's like finding the perfect pair of jeans or perfect foundation for your skin. It's nearly impossible to find, but oh when you do!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I appreciate them all :) I'll do my best to answer any questions, but if you just can't wait feel free to contact me via email or Twitter!