Tuesday 10 December 2013

Off-Topic Tuesday - My winter lip army!

Hello!



I don't know about you, but in winter I find my lips suffer. Some people say they can feel the effects of cold blustery weather and central heating on their skin or hair the most, but for me it's definitely my lips. A few chilly winter school runs and a wander round a Christmas market, and my lips are cracked and sore. I've picked up a few products that help, and wont break the bank either.


First up, Maybelline Baby Lips (my favourite is the mint one!) This is not a great product if your lips are already chapped (or at least not for me) as it's main moisturising ingredient is petrolatum and if my lips are sore already this makes it worse (I'm the same with Vaseline). But I do like to use it in the mornings before doing my make up as it leaves a nice smooth base for whatever lipstick or gloss I've chosen for the day without being so greasy that my lipstick just slides off. It's great just for a quick layer of protection before nipping out too, and I'll definitely try one of the tinted ones next. Available for £2.99 at Superdrug/Boots.


Next is a product I picked up on a whim and now wouldn't be without. Soap and Glory Smooch Operator Lip Butter contains a cocktail of moisturising ingredients such as argan oil, mango butter and vitamin e oil, and it has that summer holiday coconut scent too! I use this mostly at the end of the day once I've taken my make up off to moisturise and protect my lips overnight, as it is slightly too thick to apply lipstick over. For me, it doesn't make a great handbag product either, as it's in a tub rather than a tube so usually ends up stuck under my nails unless I use a lip brush. It's worth grabbing when S&G have their 3 for 2 offers in Boots though. Avaiable for £5 at Boots.


Lastly, we come to the big guns. Every winter since I can remember this product has come to my rescue! Blistex Intensive Moisturiser contains Shea Butter, Camphor and Allantoin and tingles on the lips, really moisturising. Once the chapped, flakey bits have set in, this is the only product that helps me! If you're too generous when applying it can leave a white cast on the lips, so for that reason I tend to leave a tube on my side table so that I can smother it on in the comfort of my own home without people thinking I've got frostbite. Saying that though, I also have a tube in my bag for emergencies! Available for £2.50 at Tesco and other stores.


So, that's how I keep my lips in relative shape in the winter. Is winter lip care something you struggle with? What products do you swear by?

Hx

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I appreciate them all :) I'll do my best to answer any questions, but if you just can't wait feel free to contact me via email or Twitter!